Getting setup for payroll with your QuickBooks Enhanced Payroll subscription is quick and easy if you take a few steps to have the information you need handy.
You must have an EIN for your business in order to set up payroll. Assuming you already have an EIN, here is a list of what you need to do/have:
- Enroll in the IRS EFTPS system online (the Enhanced Payroll software will direct you to this) to enable e-pay for your IRS payroll taxes.
- Sign up for Texas Workforce Commission account number and user ID (within Enhanced Payroll software) to access online and enable e-file and e-pay for your SUTA taxes.
- Set filing and payment methods to e-file and e-pay within the Enhanced Payroll software.
- Request an IRS PIN to enable e-file for your 941 information.
- Enter your bank information when choosing e-pay for your payroll taxes.
- Once you have entered your Texas Workforce Commission account number in the Enhanced Payroll software, there are no additional steps needed to e-pay or e-file your Texas SUTA taxes.
- Submit a direct deposit request to Intuit to enable the function in case your employees should ever want it.
- Setup payroll items to be used to track all payroll information for reporting to both you and all tax agencies. The FICA, FUTA, & FWH items are simple, but be sure to know your SUTA tax rate before setting up that one.
- Collect these forms from your employees:
- Direct Deposit Form (with voided check stapled to form)
- Setup all employee profiles in QuickBooks. Be sure you know or have the following information:
- Name, SSN, address
- Compensation information
- How often are you paying your employees?
- Tax withholding information from W-4, and Texas tax information.
- Any sick/vacation/PTO accrual information, if applicable.
- Direct Deposit bank information.
Note: AccuraBooks is a bookkeeping firm only, so please consult with your C.P.A. for verification and clarification about the contents of this article.